Welcome to a snippet of our world. We are a family of six, three teen boys and one 6yo girl, living, laughing, learning and loving in our own way via life learning, home education, unschooling, call it what you will. We have strong family values, are working towards peace and positivity, are constantly working on good communication, goal setting, healthy lifestyle and creating the life that we want. Please enjoy the snapshots of our life......







Monday, May 17, 2010

First Ever Australian Unschooling Conference

I am very excited to be able to go to this conference (find information here). I went to the Australian Homeschooling Conference a couple of years ago and came away inspired and energised to continue this journey. The last couple of months I have let go of a lot of bookwork type activities and am embracing a more natural approach with N (13). He is my step-son and so I have always felt the need to "produce" work, not only for his mum but also for registration. I am now recording things we do each day but have no expectations of learning required. I think it also helps that his two older brothers (my two boys) are reaching an age where they are self-directed, responsible, curious and intelligent learners and I know that they have a great grounding to be life long learners. N is working a bit with his dad, reading a lot, doing puzzles, playing Runescape, watching docos and movies and developing a passion for gardening, mainly growing fruit trees from seed. We will see where this takes us but I am very comfortable with it so far.

What I struggle with is radical unschooling. I LOVE the concept but it's like I don't have the energy to be always there for my kids. I like time to myself each evening, that's one of the things that keeps my energy levels up throughout the day, looking forward to my time of peace each night. I also prefer to feed them healthy options rather than eat what they want, when they want. I like to have a tidy kitchen after each meal, not have kids continually eat all through the day so the place always looks like a bomb - OK, as I am writing this it does sound terribly controlling, hmmmmmm......

So, I am open to learning and hearing about radical unschooling a la Dayna Martin. I have read a lot of books about it but am nowhere near that free yet. I say yes a LOT more often than I used to so slowly inching my way along the spectrum. By the time my kids are grown up, I will have let go of my control issues, I'm sure - lol! Anyway, I believe this opportunity is in my life for a reason, whether it is to show me a glorious new path and kick me out of my comfort zone or to cement my deep seated values that I believe children need direction with sleep, health, food, etc. We'll see......

No comments:

Post a Comment